How Much Do Podiatry Orthotics Cost?
Are you looking to find out how much custom orthotics cost in Melbourne?
At Pivotal Podiatry Clinic, we understand orthotics can be expensive, so we don’t pressure you to get orthotics…
…instead, our experienced Podiatrists provide a full clinical assessment of your individual foot problems and recommend an appropriate treatment plan.
In many cases, people don’t need orthotics.
We will NOT prescribe orthotics to you if they are unnecessary.
But people often wonder how much do Orthotics cost?
Orthotics Costs Summary
The Pivotal Podiatry Clinic offers a wide range of Orthotics to suit different budgets.
Over the Counter Orthotics
$80 – $150
A prefabricated orthotic solution which can be altered by your Podiatrist to suit your feet.
$400 – $440
Custom made with the shape of your foot,
Custom orthotics are made from a plaster mould taken from your feet. This ensures orthotics match your unique feet.
Below we’ve listed the 3 common types of Orthotics and the costs associated with their prescription from our clinic:
|Orthotic Type||Cost||Consultation Costs|
|Pre-fabricated (over the counter)||$80-$150*||$90 initial
|Semi-Customised Orthotics||$400-$440*||$90 initial
|Custom Orthotics||$690*||$90 initial
$0 follow-up (follow-up appointments included)
*Prices are indicative and subject to change. Please call your private health insurance provider to check if you are eligible for podiatry rebates on orthotics.
For more detailed information on the different types of orthotics feel free to call the clinic on (03) 9939 3339 with your questions.
What is included in an Orthotic Assessment?
To ensure that patients receive safe and effective foot care, our Podiatrists will provide you with a comprehensive service that includes:
- Full clinical assessment, including biomechanical and video gait analysis;
- Orthotics that suit the person and their individual foot problems;
- Follow-up consultations;
- Advice on appropriate footwear, stretching and strengthening exercises;
- Ongoing treatment plan; and
- Adjustment or modification of completed orthotics where required.
1. Pre-fabricated (off the shelf) Orthotics
Cost = $80 – $150* plus consultation fees ($85 initial, $70 follow-up)
- These devices come in a large range of shapes, sizes, materials, degrees of arch support and other features. They are designed to accommodate different foot types, footwear and activities.
- Some Prefabricated orthotics can be altered by your Podiatrist to suit your unique foot and concerns.
- Prefabricated orthotics usually last between 6 and 12 months depending on how much you use them, what activities you use them for and the material they are made from.
- Pre-Fabricated Orthotics can be issued at your appointment, meaning you don’t have to wait for them to be made up.
- Depending on your level of private health insurance, you may be able to claim for Podiatry. If you are unsure, please call your private health insurer to check.Click here to book a CONSULTATION!
2. Semi-Customised Orthotics
Cost = $400 – $440* plus consultation fees ($85 initial, $70 follow-up)
- Semi-Custom Orthotics are the next level up from pre-fabricated orthotics.
- They are non-casted orthotics, but your Podiatrist can choose from a larger range of more durable devices based on your usage requirements.
- Your Podiatrist can choose from different combinations of shapes and additions to customize the device to suit your mechanics.
- A pencil tracing is taken of your feet to ensure the correct shape and size orthotic is produced.
- They are then made in the orthotic laboratory which typically takes around a week.
- Semi-Custom Orthotics are quite durable and depending on use often last longer than 2 years.
- Depending on your level of private health insurance, you may be able to claim for Podiatry. If you are unsure, please call your private health insurer to check.
3. Custom Orthotics Melbourne
Cost = $690* + $85 initial appointment + 2 x FREE follow up appointments included
- To obtain an accurate replication of your feet, plaster moulds are taken of your feet.
- Based on the results of your biomechanics assessment, orthotics will be custom made for your individual feet.
- Your Podiatrist can choose the precise amount of correction, shape, material, cover material, padding, thickness and size of the device in order to alter the function and movement of the muscles and joints as required. This can also be modified to provide two different devices for two different feet!
- Dependant on how often your custom orthotics are worn, custom orthotics can last over 5 years.
- Typically the best results can be achieved with custom orthotics and they are considered the gold standard in podiatric management.
- Subject to any private health insurance that you have, some people are able to claim a large percentage of the cost of custom orthotics. If you are unsure, check with your health insurer. Please call 9939 3339 to check the appropriate codes for claiming through HICAPs.
This article was written to give you a little more information about the costs involved with orthotics from your Podiatrist. If you have any further questions about the price of orthotics or what Podiatrists can do, please call our clinic on 9939 3339.
*Prices are indicative and subject to change. Please call our clinic to get an accurate estimate of cost or to check if your health fund provides podiatry rebates for orthotics.
Click here to book a Orthotics Assessment online.
Who are Podiatrists?
Podiatrists are the principal health care specialist trained to treat problems of the foot and lower leg. After a thorough assessment of your condition, biomechanics, lifestyle and footwear you may be prescribed orthotics as a method of treatment.